11/3/10

Woe! It’s Wednesday

Spring Summer 2010 061

 

That’s a picture of Jake The Naughty on the patio. He’s drooling while watching a kitten inside the house. So yes, those drip marks on the glass are what you think they are. I know.

Jake has his own Facebook page. He has a dozen or so Friends or Likers.

I don’t know how much longer we can keep him.

We don’t give up on people. When you’re a friend, you’re a friend forever.

When we took Jake into our home, I never thought I’d be considering taking him back to the pound.

He’s sweet natured. He wants to please. He’s (pretty) obedient.

But he’s very high energy and he’s a power chewer.

Jake has destroyed:

  • 4 pairs of shoes
  • 2 throw rugs
  • 3 couch cushions
  • 1 blanket
  • countless plastic food bowls
  • 2 softballs
  • 1 golf ball
  • several tug of war ropes
  • 3 or 4 “indestructible” rubber chew toys
  • 1 azalea bush and its plastic pot
  • 1 garden hose
  • assorted gardening pots
  • a wood border around the herb garden in the back
  • 2 kittens
  • 1 squirrel
  • a garbage can full of newspapers, books, fliers, and brochures

The list could go on and on.

I don’t know how much more our home and furnishings can take. Our decor went from shabby chic to ghetto.

When do you say goodbye to a relationship that you have no hope of ever getting better? I hope Jake grows out of the chewing thing. He’s over a year and a half old. If I knew it would only be six more months or a year or whatever, I’d be more inclined. But I can’t turn my back on him for even a minute.

It’s exhausting.

If I knew for sure there was a good home out there just waiting for him, I’d take him to his new family in an instant. But I feel like we committed to give him a home and I can’t sentence him to death.

But this has to stop. I can’t afford to refurnish a whole house just because we have an incorrigible dog.

2 comments:

  1. PUH-LEEZE do not send Jake to the pound!! That is cruel. Instead (if you must), find him a home made of titanium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... he's still here... in jail outside, but here.

    ReplyDelete