12/16/09

Blindsided

When I saw the previews for the Sandra Bullock movie, The Blind Side, I knew I wanted to see it. But I was afraid to.

Afraid that 1) I’d cry my eyes out and 2) It would be gooey, sweet, overly sentimental blahness.

I was wrong on both counts.

I got a little choked up at a few parts and at the end, but left with my eyes not appreciably any redder.

And I thought the writer, producers, director and cast did an outstanding job of keeping the story from turning maudlin’ and self-serving.

Bullock showed Leigh Anne Tuohy as strong and determined, but not as a My-way-or-the-highway kind of woman. She questioned her own motives, she debated if what she did for this young man could be at the expense of her family.

Tuohy’s faith was certainly a driving force but it was never exploited as either an excuse for not doing more for other kids or used as a stepping stone to preach to the rest of us that we ought to find a disadvantaged child to help.

The movie is the story of one woman, one family, one athlete. And how they changed their world.

I highly recommend it.

-----------------

Today I prayed for: Sarah, Mel, Tyrell.

Currently reading: Nobody’s Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips – I’m afraid there’s going to be a very graphic sex scene, but so far, so good.

Last movie: The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency

 

No comments:

Post a Comment