2/8/11

Book Talk Tuesday

There hasn't been much talking about books, or much else, on this blog for a few months. I took a sabbatical from posting anything except Fiction Friday chapters of Curve Ball.

When I started Book Talk Tuesday, I thought I could talk about books forever. And I still think I can, but there are some restraints.

I do book reviews for a couple of web sites and they don't want the review published elsewhere; they want exclusive work. So, if I wanted to talk about something I reviewed, I had to write something new and different about it. That got old, because if I liked it or didn't, I had already said it.

But, I'm back and I'm just going to talk about what I've read recently or maybe a movie adaptation of a book, or an anecdote I've heard or a literary experience I've had.

My goal every year is to read 100 books. I've never made it past 80 and often I'm between 70 and 80.

So far in 2011, I've read 12 books, so I'm at a good pace to make the 100. But I invariably get snagged by something that doesn't grab me, something I have to slog through for a review, or I get busy and unable to read.

The busy-ness is only for a short time though. I truly have to read some fiction nearly every day or I start to go cray-zee.

Fiction soothes my psyche. Something about going to another world, even if for a short time, restores me.

What do you have to do regularly that restores you?

------------

Today, I'm praying for: Bernie, Lisa, and Gina.

Currently reading: The Confession by John Grisham - say what you will about him as a writer, the man can tell a great story.

Last movie: Country Strong - I'm a bit upset that no one told me it's a downer. It was good, but I wish I'd known not everyone gets their happily ever after.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment