1/21/09

Wilma

We lost another one.

I met Wilma Wall in 2003. Not even six years ago but she made a huge impression on me.

She published her first novel at age ... well, I'm not sure of her exact age but she probably joined AARP a couple of decades ago. Forbidden and The Jade Bracelet were published by Kregel; Storm Warning is due out in March.

For the last two years I had the privilege of being in a small workshop/critique group with her. Her comments were always helpful, always insightful, and always gentle.

She was a Christian and a former missionary kid who grew up in pre-World War II China. She was a wife and mother and grandmother.

I wonder what God is up to. She waited so long for the opportunity to share her gift with the world and her publishing career was relatively short.

I know where she is and I know she's enjoying her new home. But if I had one wish, it would be for her to have had a little more time to enjoy the ride.

Today I prayed for:

Lisa, Wilma's family, and President Obama.

Currently reading: Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Last movie seen: The Darjeeling Limited - verdict: weird but in an almost good way

Last meal: Tortellini with spinach and pinenuts - Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to your friend. I'd love to read her books sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your friend. My friend just lost her mother yesterday, so there's some tenderness going on over here. Take care, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Wilma quite well, but hadn't heard about her passing until I read your blog. We were in the old Valley Writers group from years ago and then we did a couple of booksignings together.

    Yep, she was about the same age as me--pretty darn old--but a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete