10/20/10

Woe! It’s Wednesday

“Adult” content has never been more available and more readily seen by so many.

Smoking, drinking, R-rated movies, Three’s Company, and dating were all kept from the kids until it was deemed they were ready for “the real world.” That wall was smashed years ago. Our children, adolescents, tweens, and young adults are exposed to more stuff than at any time before.

You’d think that means they grow up sooner. But I’m not so sure.

Yes, they’re more aware of sex, and the opposite sex, and vices that used to be off limits for kids.

And that knowledge has made them almost world-weary. They aren’t naive. They aren’t innocent.

But instead of growing up more quickly, I think it’s delayed their maturing into adults.

Of course, this is a gross generalization and I’m sure there are lots of very mature young adults. I know I raised two of them.

But in many of their contemporaries and the offspring of my friends, I see lots of Gen-Xers and Gen-Yers who don’t want to finish their education. They can’t get a job that pays a living wage and they’re okay with it. They know they will still have a bed at Mom and Dad’s.

We’ve given kids a boat-load of adult fare and kept them perpetual teenagers.

That’s my rant for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment