11/10/09

As I Was Saying…

 

I don’t know if it’s my family or group of friends or if it’s an epidemic all through society, but whatever it is I’m tired of it and I want it to stop.

Interruptions.

It seems I can barely get a half a sentence out before my “listener” (said in the loosest of terms, believe me), feels the need to interject either a) a clarifying question, b) a story about a similar experience of theirs, c) something completely random that my statement reminded them of, or d) agreement.

D isn’t a problem. And while a bugs me, I can sort of see how it might, on occasion, be necessary. I generally wait to ask for clarification when someone is speaking. Usually I can get what I need from the context, if I let them finish.

Usually if I’m talking and someone interrupts, I give up. Go with the flow. Let them talk.

But it’s happening more and more often.

Is it our society of instant messaging and texting and Facebook updating and Twittering. Everyone is talking all the time, so it’s no big deal to interrupt, they’ll be talking again in a few minutes.

I’m so frustrated though, I’m almost ready to take it to the next level.

When I’m interrupted, I’m going to turn and walk away, figuring what you have to say must be so much more important than what I’m saying, you should hurry and go find someone more important than me to listen to it.

You’ve been warned.

 

---------------

Today I prayed for: Sarah, Seamus, and Francine.

Last movie: Still The Pact

Currently reading: Living the Cross-Centered Life by C. J. Mahaney.

No comments:

Post a Comment