11/6/09

Cause for Concern

I’ve already talked about my short attention span when it comes to current events and politics.

But today, I’m mad.

This morning on one of the listening-to-the-news-while-putting-on-your-makeup shows, I heard POTUS giving a sound bite about yesterday’s shooting at Ft. Hood, Texas.

He said: “….blah blah blah, while authorities blah blah find the cause for this incident blahbubity blah.” (italics mine.)

Excuse me? Did you just say something or someone caused the officer to open fire and kill his comrades?

Cause implies prevention. If germs cause colds, prevent them by washing your hands. Onions cause heartburn? Avoid onions. Affair cause divorces; avoid affairs.

There’s a pretty simple cause and effect at work.

But there was no cause to a man deciding to kill innocent people.

I see the spin a’comin and it ain’t pretty.

See, the long war, caused Major Nidal Malik Hasan to open fire, is what we’re going to be fed. Er, I mean told. The prospect of overseas deployment caused him to feel his only recourse was to fire rounds into flesh to explode brains and hearts.

Crap. Total and unmitigated C.R.A.P.

The cause was set in place long ago, when a woman saw an apple and ate it. We’re still feeling those consequences.

I could live with it if the pundits and spokespersons and even the President said, “We’re working hard to find out why the major decided to open fire.”

Then they can talk about his issues with the war and deployment and fighting.

But spare me the cause. I know the cause.

 

-------

Today I’m praying for: Evelyn, Marilyn, Lindseylyn. Not really, just Lindsey, but I was going for a –lyn triumvirate.

Last movie: The Pact – a TV movie based on a Jodi Picoult novel. The movie just hinted at the layers and depth in the book.

Currently reading:  Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk and Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich.

 

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment