6/22/10

Book Talk Tuesday

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

I wish I could remember who first recommended this book. I think I saw it mentioned on several writer’s lists that I receive.

It’s a brilliant satire of censorship.

It’s set on a fictional island where Nevin Nollop, the creator of the typing tutorial sentence, “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog,” is revered. He has a statue and everything. The statue has his world famous sentence on the base.

One day, one of the letters from the inscription falls off. The island overseers decide it’s a “sign” that the letter should be removed from the alphabet and it’s usage is immediately outlawed.

The novel is a series of letters between Ella and her friends and family, both on and off the island.

As more letters fall from the statue, it gets harder and harder to communicate.

This book is a gem. I loan it out often and recommend it even more often.

http://tinyurl.com/25uhvn8

Have you read it? What did you think? I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment