6/22/11

Woe! It's Wednesday

One of last week's Ask Amy columns touched a nerve for me. Amy is a Ann Landers/Dear Abby for the 21st century.
The writer said she and her daughter often text a few times a day and she enjoys the communication, but she was hurt when her daughter's Mother's Day wishes came in a text. The writer said, "I think the content determines the method (of communication)."
Amy agreed.
So do I.
It's one of my pet peeves.
I love the ease of communication nowadays. I text mulitiple times a day. Same with email. I enjoy Facebook and Twitter for keeping up with friends and family.
But.
And it's a doozy of a 'but.'
I dislike getting important news, good or bad, via Facebook or Twitter or blogs or the evening news.
Call me weird, call me a Luddite, or call me a stickler, I don't care.
Got a pedicure? I think tweeting a message about it is fine.
But an engagement? Not until after the immediate family members have been told.
A new baby? Pick up the phone and dial before sending that status update.
Find a new restaurant? Tweet it.
Selling your minivan? Post a status update.
Have a serious diagnosis from your doctor? Call or send a personal email.
Want to thank someone for a gift or act of kindness? Break out a pen, write a note, spring for a 44 cent stamp, and mail it.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
"Content determines method."
I'd like to add another consideration. Relationship should also determine method.
Take it from me, moms dislike learning about a daughter's relationship on Facebook. So, call family first, then post.
A young woman I know had a baby recently. She updated her FB status as she went into labor. So did her mom and her aunt, who are both friends of mine. When the baby, a boy, was born, all updates ceased. Someone asked the aunt for his name. She replied that she wouldn't take away her niece's honor and fun of announcing him to the world. When the new mom felt up to it, she did share his name. In the meantime, family members not at the hospital were called.
We recently celebrated Easter, my birthday, Mother's Day, and Father's Day. I sent and received texts for all those occasions. I was completely fine with that.
Because: Content (and relationship) determine(s) method.

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Carrie! Our sons are both pretty good about sending personal messages before it goes up as a Facebook status. The relationship and the content definitely determine the method of how it should be communicated.

    ReplyDelete