12/21/11

Woe! It’s Wednesday: Counting My Blessings

I read a blog post recently about the power of words to influence your attitude. It’s true. I know it. You know it.

I had a perfect illustration of this happen to me.

It will soon be 2012.

This morning, I was doing a kind of inventory of my life. Thinking about where I was a year ago, where I am now, where I planned to be, and so on.

 

 

I had some hard issues to deal with this last year. Losses of both loved ones and relationships. But I acknowledged that even the losses were blessings because of the lessons learned. I’m a better person for knowing the two step-uncles we lost this year. I’m a stronger and more assertive person because of lost relationships. I’ve learned to speak up when I’m treated unthinkingly. I learned that I do the right thing sometimes simply because it’s the right thing. I don’t worry about how my motives will be interpreted.

But just as quickly, my thoughts drifted to the things I didn’t get, both literally and metaphorically.

And then all kinds of emotions roiled. Anger. Frustration. Pity.

In an instant.

Where did all my gratitude for the good and hard-won lessons go?

Evaporated when my self-centeredness sneaked in.

I gave myself a shake, took myself out for a gingerbread latte (tall, non-fat, no whip – just in case you’re wondering), and told myself to snap out of it.

I’m blessed with people in my life who love me, who “get” me, and who allow me to be who I am.

Who cares what I don’t have?

Not me.

Thanks for reading my blog this year. It’s been a good discipline for me to post 2-3 times a week. I’m looking forward to more great lessons in 2012. I hope you’ll join me on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment