12/14/11

Woe! It’s Wednesday: What I Learned From SATC

 

I never watched Sex & The City when it was on HBO. For several reasons, the main two being that we weren’t HBO subscribers and also because good Christian women didn’t watch that show.

 

Kim Cattrall, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon at event of Sex and the City

But when the first movie came out, it got pretty good reviews and it was said that a person who’d never seen the show could get up to speed and enjoy it. So I went and I did.

Then movie 2 came out. Eh.

But then I got curious about the series. If I saw an episode on a non-HBO network like TNT, E!, or Style I’d sit and watch it. These networks have cleaned it up. Words and phrases are bleeped. Everyone’s dressed, pretty much. Some scenes are cut or edited.

I write contemporary women’s fiction, humorous romance mostly. I like to keep up on what’s current and popular, so a few months ago I decided to take the plunge and DVR the series. [I know the series is no longer either current or popular, but you know what I mean. I hope.]

I’ve seen most of the episodes now, though there are a few I’ve missed.

Something surprising happened along the way.

I’ve learned a few things.

I’ve learned that:

  • True friends stick together no matter what. That even if you get angry and say hateful things, your friends have to forgive you because they’re your friends. Example: Miranda to Carrie: “Wake up, Carrie. How many more times are you going to go through this? He’s bad for you. Every time you get near him you turn into this pathetic, needy insecure victim. And the thing that pisses me off the most is that you’re more than willing to go right back for more.” Ouch. Angry? Yep. True? Yep, again. It was a bump in their relationship, but Carrie forgave Miranda, even though she still didn’t believe her. And Miranda remained friends with Carrie even though she knew she’d have to pick Carrie up and help her when Big crushed her heart yet again.
  • You don’t need masks when you’re with true friends. They love the real you. Even the real you who is judgmental and critical and overly sensitive. Carrie: “I revealed too much too soon. I was emotionally slutty.”
  • That when something good (or bad) happens to a friend, you have to get over yourself and rejoice (or cry) with them. Example: Charlotte, broken-hearted about her infertility to pregnant Miranda who almost had a abortion: “We’re going to be aunts!” The joy mingled with grief on Charlotte’s face will break your own heart.
  • There’s wisdom to be found even in a show about shoes, sex, and shopping: Carrie: “ … the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous.”

Who’d a thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment