8/22/12

Woe! It’s Wednesday

I’ve been working at moving my recipes into a computer program. Many of them are now online and I do a quick search for the name of the dish. If I find it, I copy and paste it into my OneNote file.

Some though are quite old and are “hand-me-downs” of the best kind and have to typed in by hand. I thought it would be drudgery, but I’m actually enjoying remembering when and where I got the recipe, and especially from whom.

Some recipes are old. I have Patty’s Lemon Cheesecake squares. Patty passed away several years ago, but her lemon bars never fail to get compliments. Of course, Patty lives on in her children, but I also like the thought of her in my recipe box.

Some recipes are new. I have Abbie’s Perfect Chocolate cake that is so incredibly rich and moist, it will literally slide right off the plate.

Some recipes are passed along from others. I have John’s chili recipe. I retyped his notes from the original about how he had to pull over on the side of 10 freeway in West Covina to write down the recipe he heard on the radio.

Some are family favorites. I have Mom’s easy and quick peach cobbler. Well, I have several of Mom’s, but the peach cobbler is written in her own handwriting. She’s good at copying or printing out recipes for me, so the handwritten one is special. (I did manage to part with it though, after I copied it).

A few recipes are in my daughters’ handwriting; for dishes they loved at a friend’s house and brought me home the directions to replicate it. I have Dawn’s French Toast Casserole and a recipe for Snickerdoodles. I didn’t tell that daughter that I already had a Snickerdoodles recipe, I just hadn’t made them in a long while.

I had a diagram for making a Christmas train out of candy. Rollo pieces were the smokestack, licorice ropes were the tracks. I searched on Pinterest until I found something similar and pinned those to my Holiday Ideas board.

I’ve been working at this project off and on for months, but I’ve decided that this week is the week to get it done. My eyes are tired, my back hurts, and my fingers are calloused, but I’m making real progress while I enjoy my memories of good food shared with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment