8/4/10

Woe! It’s Wednesday…

2 kids and a pony

 

A word has been coming up fairly frequently in our house lately.

Entitlement.

You hear it on the news and read it in the papers.

Merriam-Webster defines it as:

  1. 1. the state of condition of being entitled.
  2. 2. a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group. (Like Social Security)
  3. 3. belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges.

Dictionary.com said the same as 1 & 2.

Most of the definitions say entitlement is bestowed. It is given by a person or group to another person or group.

It’s definition number 3 from Merriam-Webster that has taken over our culture.

We think we’re entitled to

  • happiness
  • a new car
  • a vacation home
  • a designer purse
  • an iPhone
    • a pony
  • an A on a test we didn’t study or prepare for but we deserve the grade because we knew the material but it’s not our fault Mom forgot to …

The list could go on and on and on and…

Anyway, my point (and I do have one) is that I am not entitled to anything. Not a home with air conditioning when it’s 110 degrees outside. Not a car. Not a library card.

Those are gifts, precious and wonderful. But I don’t deserve them. Those kids in the photo at the top look very excited about getting to ride their pony. I wonder (if they owned it) how long it took before they complained about feeding it and cleaning up its poop and brushing its hair.

I need to remember this when I get whiny about having to wait while my printer spits out the next pages of my manuscript. When I wait in line to put gas in my car. And when the dog carries off my new shoe.

I’ll try to remember, but I “make no guarantees.” (That’s another catchphrase around our house. Can you name that movie?")

----------

Today I’m praying for Lisa, Laura M., Joyce, and Toni.

Last movie: Eclipse!!

Last book: Meander Scar by Lisa J. Lickel

 

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment