8/11/10

Woe! It’s Wednesday

When did I get old?

And I’m not talking about years on this earth. I mean when did I start thinking like an old grumpy pessimist?

As a child, I loved scrambling over rocks, especially near rivers, when we went camping or hiking.

Two weeks ago, in Yosemite for the day, I wanted to go sit by the river and read and listen to the water and enjoy the quiet. It took me forever to get there because I went so slowly over the rocks. All I could think about was how easy it would be to slip and fall and snap an ankle. And if that didn’t happen, I could be impaled on a piece of driftwood or a branch sticking out of the rocks.

I often want to cry out warnings to my children or grand-daughter or husband.

“Be careful! The lawn mower could cut off your finger/hand/foot.”

“Watch out! There’s a car coming and he’s flying through the intersection.”

“Wait! Be sure that is turned off/on/paused before you touch it.”

I guess it’s because I’ve now lived long enough to see horrible things happen to people I know. And I’ve read about other catastrophes and know that ‘there but for the grace of God, go I.’

 

swinging bridge

 

I’m not a worrier, but I have to say, I am aware of all the evil in the world and I’m very aware that it is only God’s grace that keeps me and my family safe.

I finally made it to the riverside and enjoyed a lovely time of quiet reading and reflection. No snapped ankles or impalements marred the afternoon. Thank God!

Technorati Tags: ,,

---------

Today I’m praying for: Janet, Amber, Daniel

Last movie: Inkheart – really enjoyed it!

Currently reading: Her Abundant Joy by Lyn Cote. So far, I like it a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie,
    We did Yosemite in 2008 and I'm afraid I should have done it 10 years ago when I was still "spry." Glad you're enjoying HAJ!

    ReplyDelete